

NJLA Member Services Committee – Chat Transcript, 11/5/15

Lindsey:Good morning everyone!

Nick:Hi Good Morning, it was tough for me to make it person :(

Maryjean:Good Morning

Kerry:Good morning!

Anastasia Vito:Good morning!

James Keebler:ok now everybody should be able to talk if they want.

Maryjean:Yes

Anastasia Vito:Yes

Lindsey:Yup!

Nick:Yes

Kerry:yes

Lindsey:Yes

Maryjean:I can only chat right now.

Anastasia Vito:I'm out on the circ floor, so I will have to stick to chatting.

Kerry:chat for me right now as well

Nick:Looks like chat also over here

Erica:HI everyone!

Lynn:Ok. We'll wait a few more minutes and then get started.

Lindsey:If we're not speaking, are we automatically muted?

Lynn:James -- can we disable the audio for all, then?

Lynn:Ok. Let's get started. The main concern for today is to get our program proposals together.

Lynn:Steve has agreed to enter our proposals into the system, but we need to give him the details.

Lynn:Where do you want to begin, Steve?

Steve Hrubes:Yes, I'll be submitting our proposals. Do we have any ideas?

Steve Hrubes:The submission due date is November 20th.

Emily W:Hi everyone!

Steve Hrubes:Any social events will also need to be submitted.

Lindsey:I like last month's ideas of job interview sessions and also trouble patrons.

Maryjean:Lindsey, I agree. I think those would both be very popular sessions.

Maryjean:Also, for social events do we know what kind of area we are working with?

Lindsey:Did anyone check with Allen McGinley about the Trouble Patrons idea (reading from last month's minutes).

Emily W:The interview sessions from last year were really well received by both the interviewers and interviewees. Many of the interviewers have already said they would be happy to do it again.

Erica:I know several of them were at the MentorNJ workshop and did a great job there as well

Kerry:...customer service is always a big issue, especially when with difficult patrons

Emily W:MAIN just had a workshop with Warren Grahm who wrote Blackbelt Librarian. He gives a talk about safety and security in dealing with difficult patron situations. He was awesome, but it would be an expense.

Erica:I had talked to Allen about the blackbelt librarian, and he is really expensive. We would need to look into a less expensive speaker if we wanted to pursue that topic.

Lindsey:We could incorporate Warren's ideas into a workshop.

Lindsey:.....cheaper!

NJLA Member Services Committee – Chat Transcript, 11/5/15

Emily W:He had great ideas - I have notes!

Lindsey:I like the idea of role playing, too. Illustrating different ways to repond to patrons, when to call police, when to call supervisor.

Lynn:So, those who attended recently (Warren prgm), would you be willing to be on a panel?

Danielle: Could we just have an open discussion?

Erica:Emily, is there anyone from MAIN you think would we could ask to be on this type of panel? or facilitate a discussion?

Danielle: Many librarians have dealth with these issues. They can learn from each other

Erica:(to include ideas from Warren's talk)

Danielle: Can one of us do it?

Erica:I wonder if conference is stiill having those conversation starter programs. If we wanted to go with more of a conversation as opposed to a panel, I guess that would fall under conversation starter

Danielle: I can do it

Emily W:I like the idea of a conversation starter. There were lots of MAIN librarians at this program. Karen Brodsky (Chatham PL) and Joan Hipp (Florham Park PL) organized it.

Lindsey:How 'bout this: 2 people (Danielle being 1, since she's an actor) role play a series of short (1 minute) typical scenes with a trouble patron, followed by audience discussions.

Lindsey:Role play, discuss, role play, discuss.....etc.

Emily W:I can be on the panel or see if any other MAIN librarians who went can be.

Maryjean:I like the idea of role play and discuss. Seeing a situation unfold and being able to discuss different way to handle it can be very useful.

Danielle: I can be on the panel as well. I have a lot of experience with this

Danielle: at belleville

Danielle: Also, we just need something to submit. The details on the questions

Danielle: we can organize later

Erica:We need name, speakers, and a description at least to submit

Lynn:So, let's let Danielle and Emily think about a title and description and give to Steve before the 11/20 deadline.

Lynn:One program proposal complete.

Lynn:Next?

Lindsey>Title: "How to Defuse a Bomb without Losing Your Cool"

Lynn:All suggestions welcomed...just send to Danielle & Emily to consider.

Steve Hrubes:Regarding social events, in the past we've had a Librarian Mixer on Monday evening and a New Librarian/Student Mixer on Tuesday evening. Shall we do something similar this year?

Danielle: I think that is fine Steve.

Danielle: WE did change the name of the leadership one

Emily W:Sounds good, Steve.

Lindsey:Anyone up for a field trip to AC to check out the new place for social locations?

Danielle: Steve and I and possibly Emily are going to AC on the 15th to check it out

Emily W:We usually host the Bonfire Tuesday eve, but not sure that we can do something like that at Harrahs,

Lindsey:Maybe we should wait till next month to discuss social plans, after the field trip report?

Danielle: Emily I was just saying that. We'll have to see

Erica:The deadline to submit everything is Nov 20

NJLA Member Services Committee – Chat Transcript, 11/5/15

Emily W:I can possibly go on the 15th.

Maryjean:I could go on the 15th as well if you needed more people to come.

Lynn:So, if the venue allows for it, we'll go forward with the bonfire, but if not then of course that is out. Either way some mixer will still be happening.

Steve Hrubes:Yes. We can figure out venue later. Let's just plan the events.

Danielle: No, Steve. WE need to have the places set before the 20th

Steve Hrubes:Yes, before the 20th. Plan event now. Find location on the 15th visit.

Danielle: I think we can do it very quickly if we both go the 15th. No worries

Danielle: ah, now I get you

Steve Hrubes:I believe as part of the contract we get access to the Pool club on Tuesday evening. So, that can be the location for that night.

Erica:That work nicely in place of a bonfire

Maryjean:That's a pretty big space. I agree, Erica, that's definitely a nice substitute for the bonfire.

Lindsey:From fire to rain, haha.

Lynn:To recap, that means 1 mixer; 1 bonfire/pool event; 1 trouble patron program and 1 request to have the hospitality table.

Lynn:Do we also want to pursue the job interview program/activity?

Lindsey:Yes.

Danielle: I suggest that we promotie if for supervisors as well. Professional development

Erica:Going back to the bonfire/pool event -- is that a combination Leadership/New Librarian/Student event or are there normally 2 different events?

Steve Hrubes:We can make it a combo event, if you like.

Lynn:I think the bonfire/pool is really just open to anyone. It used to be billed as a "leadership" event, but we wanted it to be more inclusive.

Erica:I guess my question was more if we wanted a specific new librarian/student event?

Lynn:The other mixer (evening) is the one that is billed as the new student/new NJLA mixer.

Emily W:The new librarian mixer is usually at 5:00 on Tuesday, right after the last session.

Emily W:I think it should still be separate.

Maryjean:I think opening it to everyone is a good idea. It gives students, like me, an opportunity to meet experienced librarians and other professionals.

Emily W:From the pool.

Danielle: New students separate from pool

Danielle: pool is for everyone

Erica:maybe something separate right before pool event so something special and then announce that pool is open to all immediately following?

Danielle: New students is at 5. Pool is like at 8:00.

Lindsey:So we still need a mixer on Monday night, yes?

Danielle: Dont forget honors and awards is that evening

Steve Hrubes:So, two social events on Tuesday?

Erica:oh, right, I should know that since I'm on that committee! Thanks for the reminder :)

Danielle: Yes, mixer Monday night. We are not changing that

Erica:okay so we just need to submit for 2 mixers since pool is happening no matter what

Lynn:Ok. So the main thing here is that we're reserving the space in the schedule. We have a little time to work out the publicity and the specific details on the poolside/bonfire event.

Lindsey:Is MSC sponsoring the pool event?

NJLA Member Services Committee – Chat Transcript, 11/5/15

Steve Hrubes: Does the pool need to have a submission hosted by a committee?

Lynn: Let's try to nail down the details for the job interview program if we want to do that.

Lynn: Yes, the pool event would likely need a submission in the same way that the bonfire did and that the hospitality table does. It just reserves space and potentially staff time/prep.

Steve Hrubes: Ok, will hammer out details later.

Erica: Danielle, did you have a chance to talk to PAC about this program? I know we discussed framing it as a tips and techniques for interviewers

Danielle: Once we go on the 15th we'll have all the details.

Danielle: Pac is meeting this Monday.

Danielle: I feel the interviews are easy to organize. We don't need another committee. We just need supervisors

Danielle: to interview. I don't think that will be difficult

Erica: Co-sponsorship though is always helpful!

Lindsey: Professional Development as co-sponsor?

Lynn: Traditionally, we've run this as more of an activity than a workshop. Yes, co-sponsorships would be great. We talked MentorNJ, Karen Klapperstuck, Prof. Devl. too.

Lynn: It sounds like we are interested in having this happen. Again, we can fine tune the interviewers list after the fact, but we will submit it as something from our group. Does one person (or two) want to be our point person for this?

Danielle: I don't recall having a point person. However, we the committee helped out

Danielle: when I say help I mean here are the tables and chairs. It was very simple. Nonetheless, we just need to organize the interviewers

Danielle: That can wait.

Emily W: I was the point person last year.

Maryjean: I can help as well.

Emily W: I organized and coordinated with all the interviewers - I have everyone's contact info and the question sets we used.

Lynn: It is the kind of event that will take a number of us to be there in the room, but on paper, just one or two names (as the moderator and contact) are all that are required for the proposal

Emily W: That said - there was a team of us working to put this all together too.

Emily W: I think on paper, I was the moderator, maybe along with someone else. If you'd like, I can be the moderator again.

Danielle: That's right we did give suggested questions

Maryjean: You can put my name down as well.

Lynn: So, Steve, it looks like Emily and Maryjean are willing (I hope I got that right) to be listed as the contacts for the interview activity.

Lynn: That makes 5 proposals. Anything else?

Emily W: Sounds good to me! We learned a lot from last year, so this year I'm hoping for a more organized event.

Lynn: Great!

Steve Hrubes: Ok. Got them down for it.

Maryjean: This is my first time doing anything like this so it's definitely going to be a learning experience. Looking forward to it!

Danielle: The most important thing with the interview program is the title and description. Make it clear that it is for all. NOT just those looking for a job

Emily W: Last year's title was: So you got the Interview, now what?

NJLA Member Services Committee – Chat Transcript, 11/5/15

Danielle: Acing the Interview. Professional Development 101. I know that awful

Danielle: Interviewing: Behind and in front of the desk

Danielle: Interviewing from Both sides of the table

Lindsey: Interviewing from Both Sides of the Desk

Nick: That's a nice play on words

Lynn: I think that's good. Let's just make clear in the description that it is job interviewing, not reference interviewing

Lynn: Ok...I think we've got our programs and activities for the proposals in rough form. We have a few days to work out the specific language before Steve has to submit. Let's agree to take this to email for some final reviews.

Emily W: Last year we advertised it to anyone looking for a job or wanting to keep their interviewing skills sharp.

Lynn: Steve-- Can you get a rough draft together and then share with all for comments?

Steve Hrubes: Yes, before anything is submitted, I'll share it with the committee for review.

Lynn: Any other items to talk about before we end?

Lindsey: Upcoming social events?

Lynn: any word on iPLAY DATES

Steve Hrubes: Nothing yet. Do we want to pursue iPlay for late November? We could do it via email rather than wait for the next committee meeting.

Danielle: that is cutting it close. Holiday season

Lindsey: Jan or Feb is better - cabin fever sets in

Danielle: agreed

Danielle: I remember miniature golf that was indoors was in February. That was a huge it

Steve Hrubes: So, iPlay in Jan/Feb? I'll get info and share before next committee meeting.

Danielle: perfect steve

Emily W: Thanks Steve!

Lindsey: Ditto

Lynn: Ok...so let's plan to have some emails related to the program planing in the next few days. We'll keep our December meeting date reserved, but it will be an online meeting. Mostly we'll be prepping for the social event and maybe we'll have feedback on the confr. plan.

Lynn: Sound ok?

Maryjean: Sounds good.

Emily W: Good!

Steve Hrubes: Sounds good to me!

Nick: sounds good

Lynn: Thanks all! Have a great day!

Emily W: You too! Goodbye!

Steve Hrubes: Great meeting! Good bye.

Erica: You too! Bye everyone!

Maryjean: Bye all!

Lindsey: Bye!

James Keebler: ill email you transcript